Who We Are
Handicap International is an independent and impartial aid organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Handicap International owns and operates this website. Handicap International is a tax exempt, District of Columbia nonprofit corporation headquartered in Maryland.
Our goal at Handicap International is to respect the privacy rights of all donors and visitors to our website. The following information details Handicap International's collection, protection, and use of the data we receive from donors and visitors to this website. We intend to use reasonable efforts to respect any limitations you may desire to place on the use of your personal information.
What We Collect
Handicap International may collect information regarding website visitors, including IP address, browser, and domain information, and information volunteered by you, such as your email address, by “following,” “liking,” linking your account to the Handicap International website.
Handicap International collects personal information from visitors and other supporters when they register to join our organization, make a donation or purchase online or offline, subscribe to any e-newsletter we may offer, take an action concerning an issue using our service, or otherwise participate in one of our online communities by “following” or “liking” our pages there. Please note that our web server does not automatically recognize or collect personal information based on your email address; the personal information we collect is always voluntarily submitted by you. We do not sell or share email addresses we collect.
It is not our intention to collect any personally identifiable information from children. Children should always ask a parent for permission before sending any personal information online.
Our website may provide links to other sites from time to time. We attempt to choose links carefully. However, we cannot take responsibility for the privacy policies of any linked website since we do not control third party websites.
Internet websites wishing to link to our site should attribute the content to Handicap International.
Online Donations and Credit Card Security
Handicap International is grateful for the donations that help us continue our valuable work. It is very important to us that your personal information remain secure. When you donate to Handicap International online, your credit card information is secured by a reputable security company (Authorize.Net). Also, your credit card number is used only for that particular transaction and is not stored. You will see the yellow, Authorize.Net security symbol in the lower part of your browser screen when you are on our secure donation pages. You will notice in your website address bar that the domain name starts with "https" on donation pages. This means that information entered on those pages is encrypted for your security. This actually makes it more secure than using a credit card in physical form at a store, for example. If you have any questions regarding the security of your credit card donation online, please email us, or call (301) 891-2138 for more information.
To serve you better, we may contact you in the future to inform you about Handicap International's response to the needs of the world's most vulnerable people. We will offer various contact options, so you can choose how often you hear from us. Handicap International will remove your name from our mailing list, email list or telephone solicitation list at any time, at your request.
Handicap International may from time to time use the services of outside vendors to send our email newsletters and to complete the online donation process. We seek to have these vendors adhere to Handicap International's commitment to privacy and security. However, we cannot control third parties, and if at any time you should have a concern, please contact us directly on (301) 891-2138, and we will do our utmost to correct the problem.
Newsletters and Email Updates
Email newsletters and updates provide a worldwide perspective on Handicap International’s mission to respond to needs of persons disabled by armed conflicts, diseases, natural disasters, or other causes. In order to receive these updates you must voluntarily provide Handicap International with your name and email address. You will be given the option to remove your name from our email list at the bottom of each email update.
Handicap International's website gives you the opportunity to opt out of receiving additional information from us. If you do not want to receive additional information, please email us at email@example.com or call us at (301) 891-2138 and asked that you not receive additional information from us.
Your privacy is very important to us. We rely on the good will and generosity of our supporters and want to ensure that your experience with Handicap International is as positive as possible.
If you have concerns about your privacy with Handicap International, please contact us at (301) 891-2138.
As you browse our website, online ad networks we work with may place anonymous cookies on your computer, and use similar technologies, in order to understand your interests based on your anonymous online activities, and to tailor more relevant ads to you. If you do not wish to receive such tailored advertising, you can visit this page to opt out of most companies that engage in such advertising. This will not prevent you from seeing ads; the ads simply will not be delivered through these targeting methods.
General Terms and Conditions
1. You agree to use this site only for lawful purposes, and should you fail to do so, Handicap International may enforce its rights accordingly.
2. The site and information are provided “as is” with no warranties of any kind for any purpose. In no event will Handicap International be liable for damages of any kind arising from use of this website. In any jurisdiction where exclusion of liability may not be allowed, any liability will be limited to the maximum provided by law in that particular jurisdiction.
3. Handicap International’s name and logo are protected by state and federal laws and no person may use them without prior written permission of Handicap International.
4. You may not copy, modify, reproduce, re-publish, create derivative works from, transfer or sell any pages, data, information, images, or services obtained from this website unless you have the prior written consent of Handicap International and any other applicable owner of the website content. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved by us.
5. If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is deemed unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, that provision will be deemed severable from these Terms and Conditions and will not affect the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions.
6. This website is administered by Handicap International from its office in Maryland. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Maryland. Any disputes relating to the use of this website shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Maryland or the United States District Court in Maryland.
7. If you do not accept these Terms and Conditions in full, you must immediately terminate use of this website.
Contact Handicap International
8757 Georgia Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Phone: (301) 891-2138